SCARS | Products to reduce them


It's been 5 months since my accident so i thought it was about time i shared with you the products i have been using on my scars to help reduce the appearance of them. If you haven't seen my scars, you can read about them and what happened here.

Bio-Oil - 125ml £14.99
Bio oil is talked about a lot. Before i had any scars, this was the only product i had heard of that helps reduce old and new scaring. It's on the TV, in magazines and it's what everyone seems to recommend. We already had this bottle in my house half full and as you can tell i finished it off. I used this on my knee as it was the first scar to have healed enough to allow me to apply any product. With applications, i applied this day and night to my scar. Massaging it in circular motions and then leaving it uncovered for the rest to soak in.
With regards to the Bio Oil working, i feel you would need to continue using it this often for many months if not years for it to reduce the large, more noticeable or even old scars. It cleared up the scars from the stitching relatively fast, and I'm still marked from them but barely noticeable at all. The end of the scar where the impact was less forced and the scar tailed off with a lighter cut has also healed very well with help from the oil. However, for the main part of my scar i would really need to continue testing this product to really give any opinion towards it. I've read up a lot on it, and results take a long time (if any are to show) and a lot of money has to be spent with the prices that they're retailed in stores.

To continue my research into Bio-Oil results I got two 200ml bottles. My boyfriend was quite the bargain hunter and found 200ml bottles listed on Amazon for £9.99. The same cost of the 60ml bottle listed on the Boots website. You know these are genuine bottles as they are sold from Bio-Oil and it gives you comfort knowing they are new products and are not old stock being rotated. Look out for an updated scar post on Bio oil in a few months to come.

Potters Herbals 'Comfrey oil' - 75ml £3.39
This little bottle was my back up oil for my knee. It's described for its healing properties, helping with bruising and also minor sprains. So my mum picked this up from Holland and Barrett just to see if its any good and with the price it wasn't so much of a worry.
Honestly, i love this oil. The scent is divine and the thickness of the oil really makes you think its soaking in and your skins absorbing all the goodness it has to offer. The bottle contains rapeseed oil, comfrey herb and eucalyptus oil.
Since applying this on my knee scar it has continued to show slow improvements, like the bio oil showed. The two oils are similar consistencies and really i don't see their being much difference. If you're after a lower priced healing oil i would try testing this.

New you 'Cocoa skin therapy oil' - 50ml £1
Before i found any products i tried 50% of the product in this little bottle. It was originally owned by my boyfriend who had a scar from a burn and it cleared it up within two weeks. At being priced at £1, i really didn't have much hope for it clearing up my surgery scars or the deep scars that needed stitching. So i applied this to my cuts and marks along my legs and arms. The results have been surprising. Its like a bargain bottle of good fortune. My scaring from the cuts went from red/purple to white in such a small space of time and are now much less noticeable than first seen. Hopefully they will eventually heal completely over time and leave my leg looking less sorry for itself!
I'd recommend this product for small scars from burns, grazes or cuts. But it has many ingredients Ive not heard of so be careful when applying to new scars. Make sure you apply it lightly once, and wait 48hours in case you react to it.

Reme Scar 'Silicone scar stick' - £19.99*
Now here's a product my surgery scars on my ankle have been lapping up!
I like this product for many reasons, one of them being how easy the application is. It isn't messy, it takes a few seconds to apply, set and you can carry on. Perfect for morning applications if you have to go to work, etc. I also love how it 'seals' in the scars with a clear silicone, protecting them from UV rays and germs/bacteria. The downfall is the size, and that's what the low star rating is for on the Boots website and that's a pure shame. My ankles have healed quicker than any other scars and i believe its down to this product and the 'bubble' it creates securing the scars from harm but also providing them with enough product to encourage healing. This stick is teeny tiny standing at 5.5cm and goes down fast depending how heavy you are with the product, so be careful not to distribute too much.
I've used half of this stick and my scars are already turning white. I'm saving the remainder for if i take any holidays abroad this year it'll help with the beach, pool & of course the sun to an extent.




No comments:

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved